Riverview, FL asked in Estate Planning and Civil Rights for Puerto Rico

Q: My father was married to my mother at the time of her death. She had three prior children before married my dad from

Previous marriage. Together the only had one child which is me. My father is try to sell the house in Puerto Rico my mother didn’t not leave a will. Can her other kids receive money from the sell or no

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jose M. Rivera Santos
Jose M. Rivera Santos PRO label
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Ponce, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Greetings:

In a simple explanation. When your mother passed away half of the estate passes to you father and the other half is divided between you and your relatives. In a more technical one, the estate gets divided in half first as we first explained and then it will get evaluated an sorted out through the specifics of the law to determine through a court of law, how much of that will go to every person and if there are any other obligations that need to be taken care of, among other things. It is advisable that you hire an attorney for this process. If you have any other questions feel free to contact us directly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.