Bowling Green, KY asked in Adoption and Child Custody for Kentucky

Q: How hard will it be for me to get custody of my granddaughter ? I am her grandmother. She has been with me more often

Than not since she was 1 1/2 old . Her mother lived with me off and on mostly not but most recently the last 4 + years with me doing all the care taking of my granddaughter because her mother wouldn't. She ( my daughter is mentally ill) and refuses to get help . Most recently in November 2019 she attacked me in front of my granddaughter who is now terrified of her mother and refuses to even talk to her mother. She ( my granddaughter ) says she will run away if anyone tries to make her leave me to stay with her mom . Says her mom won't take care of her and will leave her by herself. She doesn't like being in the car with her mom because she ( scares her ) my daughter has road rage and doesn't care who she hurts . All in all I want custody of my granddaughter so she doesn't have to be afraid and because she knows she's loved and cared for and most importantly because she feels and is safe with me . Thanks for your time and any advice you can give me . Susan

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: Unless the child has been with you for the past six months, you don’t have standing to file for custody. Alternatively, if or when she has been in your care or possession for at least six months, then you could be a de facto custodian and you would then have standing to bring an action for custody against the other claimants for custody.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.