Elkridge, MD asked in Foreclosure and Real Estate Law for Virginia

Q: My grandmother had a loan against her trailer in 1994. The last payment made was in 1997 before the bank changed names

The current bank has no record of the title. Dmv states that there is a lean against it. She has agreed that I have the trailer. Can I file for abandoned property

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Sternberg
Richard Sternberg
  • Potomac, MD
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: In 35 years of practice, I've never seen this issue. Interesting. Plainly, you need to file some equivalent action to a Quiet Title action, and you'd probably name that a Complaint for Declaratory Judgment. But, I'd need to hit the library as to how to clear title to a residential trailer. I though about just passing your question for someone else who might know the answer without research, but I'll be impressed if someone like that reads Justia. I'll bet there is something in the Transportation Article about abandoned vehicle titles. That's a good place to start reading.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.