Detroit, MI asked in Consumer Law and Small Claims for Michigan

Q: Can consumers energy make my pay a bill from 2009

I was trying to get gas And a inform me that I had a bill from 2009 of $1500 But I moved out of that address in the end of 2008 they will not help me out is there a limitation on how far back they can go

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Trent Harris
Trent Harris
  • Jackson, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: That's a good question. If the debt was from 2008-2009, it's definitely past the statute of limitations. But the statute of limitations means only that Consumers can't sue you in a court of law now to collect the debt. It doesn't necessarily mean Consumers can't ask you to pay your past-due balance before getting new service.

If the debt had been discharged in a previous bankruptcy, that would be one thing, and they couldn't require you to pay it before you got new service. But your situation isn't as clear. To be honest, I'm not aware of a rule or law that says they can't ask you to pay it despite the long passage of time.

This is a question that might be better posed to the Michigan Public Service Commission, to find out if they have any rules about that. There probably aren't many people outside the MPSC that would know the answer. You can call the MPSC at 800-292-9555. Good luck.

As always, you get what you pay for. Make sure to do a consult with a qualified attorney before choosing to rely on any information you get from internet discussion boards, such as this one.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.