Dallas, TX asked in Car Accidents for Texas

Q: I rear ended a guy and my insurance company had dropped me. He wants to settle out of court for $8k or go to court

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: You'll need to speak with a Texas attorney for the best guidance here, but you await an answer for three weeks and the other side may be asking you if you made up your mind. You may first want to check if your insurance policy was in effect at the time of the accident, even though it sounds like you may have been subsequently dropped. If that's the case, you should let them handle it. If you were NOT covered at the time of the accident, then you will have to weigh this offer. You know the facts and probably have the estimates for property damage. Whatever you decide, wrap things up with release - that's a legal form where the other side agrees to give up their right to sue you for any and all, including future, claims, in exchange for the $8,000 (or whatever figure you decide upon). Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.