Akron, OH asked in Family Law and Cannabis & Marijuana Law for Ohio

Q: I have a criminal record but I haven't been in trouble in over 10 years my children live with their maternal grandmother

They want to live with me can I still get custody even though I smoke Weed

1 Lawyer Answer
Nicholas P. Weiss
Nicholas P. Weiss
  • Cannabis & Marijuana Law Lawyer
  • Cleveland Heights, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Now is an excellent time for you to get a medical marijuana card. There are a variety of physicians out there who can get you one, and if you are using marijuana for medical purposes then that cannot be used as the sole reason to deny you custody. R.C. 3796.24 (2 - 3). Let me know if you'd like some recommendations for the Akron area.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.