Phoenix, AZ asked in Civil Litigation and Probate for Arizona

Q: I have a question about getting property back from an estate where the person died without a will.

My ex husband and I were married for 15 years. We divorced in 2015. In 2016, my ex husband and I had moved back in together into the home we shared while we were married. If Feb 2018 we had a fight and he filed a restraining order against me, preventing me from returning to the house and getting my property out of the house. In June 2019, he died without a Will. When he died, he also still owed me 17 more months of spousal maintenance. I do have an email from him stating I can have my property back if I dropped my request for additional spousal maintenance. I also have a copy of the check I wrote for the minivan. After my ex's death, his son took property from the house, some of which was mine (including a minivan, firesafe, misc other items). What is the proper course of action in order to legally obtain my property from my late ex husband's son?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gregory Christopher Poulos
Gregory Christopher Poulos
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Phoenix, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: You may have to open a probate as a creditor of the estate, but I would suggest starting with correspondence to the son about this. Perhaps a letter from an attorney might help resolve this without going to court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.