Marrero, LA asked in Real Estate Law, Bankruptcy and Divorce for Louisiana

Q: Property Settlement

Divorced for about 3 years, settlement not included with divorce, house acquired during marriage. I have been solely paying for the house and all related upkeep. How can I get the ex off the title? He already said he won't sign a quit claim. I don't have the money to sue him over this and make too much for legal assistance. Due to debts incurred over the marriage I have had to file for bankruptcy.

1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY

A: Go back into the divorce case and ask the judge to remove him. The real question is why the settlement was not included in the divorce bc that is where all these type issues are handled.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.