Cross, SC asked in Family Law and Domestic Violence for South Carolina

Q: Not married but have children and have lived together for almost 15 years.

My long term boyfriend who is also the father of my kids is extremely verbally abusive and occasionally physically abusive to me over his paranoid insecurities. Several police reports have been filed and he was even arrested but not charged in one case. I just want him to move out of the home that we currently live in and are purchasing. Neither one of us is on the mortgage as we took it over from someone who is now deceased. Is it possible to make him have to move as I'm the only employed one and pay all the bills.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Taylor Silver
Taylor Silver
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: Your only option at this moment in time (given coronavirus closures) is to file a petition for an order of protection or to move out yourself. If you can't afford a local attorney to help with this, assists people with this issue if you qualify.

Good luck to you.

Ryan D Templeton agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.