Youngstown, OH asked in DUI / DWI for Ohio

Q: How can I handle a bench warrant if I cannot travel due to illness?

Ten years ago I plead guilty to dui. Like a fool, I didn’t pay my fines or court costs. I have been in no trouble since but I want to make everything right and get my license back. I am ill and on dialysis while I await transplant and traveling to the original court is impossible.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brian Smith
Brian Smith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Rocky River, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: You should contact an attorney who may help you take care of this. There can be times when the only remaining thing to take care of with a case is payment of fines/costs, and an attorney can file a motion along with payment of the outstanding costs to get the court to withdraw the warrant. However, this depends on the particular facts of the case, the court, and whether the other terms of the sentence have been satisfied.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.