Chapel Hill, NC asked in Divorce for North Carolina

Q: My ex wife baptized my son without my knowledge or consent. We have Joint Legal custody. Is this contempt?!

She has primary physical custody. Our order is in Hawaii.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Adam Bull
Adam Bull
  • Asheville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Probably not. Religion is a deeply personal decision. With joint custody there should have been communication regarding the baptism however i do not think either parent could force it nor prevent it. This is similar to non essential medical care decisions (dental sealant, HPV,). the law presumes each parent to make appropriate decisions for the welfare of the child. The other parents disagreement is their perroggative but its not binding on the other party.

Amanda Bowden Johnson
Amanda Bowden Johnson pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Very doubtful. There is no harm to you or the child. The fact that you simply may not personally like it is irrelevant.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.