Healdsburg, CA asked in Employment Discrimination and Securities Law for California

Q: I understand that If a private company uses a unlicensed agent to raise assets, that's an SEC violation.

However, is there anything in it for me to turn the company in?

The company has gone from zero value to $85 million in value and used me, a misclassified independent consultant, to raise money for them. I am going after the company based on being misclassified. But, could I receive compensation as a whistleblower...?

1 Lawyer Answer
Louis George Fazzi
Louis George Fazzi
  • Employment Law Lawyer
  • Jess Ranch, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In my opinion, there is nothing in it for you. The whistleblower statute was created as an incentive for people to report fraud on the government, or waste of government assets or expenditures. I don’t see that in this situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.