Deltona, FL asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Florida

Q: Can I get temp custody of ex husbands grandchildren?

Ages 11 and 15 they are now living w me. Mother addict, father jail for life. I need temp custody for emergencies. Mother is also collecting food stamps and government checks for them that we coukd really use. What should I do?

Mother is an addict, father prison for life. Biological grandmother daughters side an alcoholic, grandfather (my ex husband) abusive and kicked them out which is why they are with me. Fathers side grandfather deseased. Grandmother unknown. I am all they have and they deserve a family life. I dont think parents will oppose unless afraid they will lose any benefits. Mother goes months without seeing them.

1 Lawyer Answer
Jean Richardson
Jean Richardson
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • North Miami, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Have you spoken with mom and dad about temporary custody? It doesn't sound like you are biologically related to the children. Where are mom and dad's parents? You should consult with a local attorney regarding your options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.