Montgomery, TX asked in Family Law and Animal / Dog Law for Texas

Q: My boyfriend and I are splitting, how can I keep my dogs ? Texas law

We are splitting after living 6 years together, He wants to keep one of the two dogs that we have, I want to keep both dogs, What are the legal ways that I can keep them?, he payed for the dogs and the vets bills, their chip and vets paperwork are on my name. I educated them, I take care of them, I feed them, walks, Take to the vet, they are with me all the time by free choice. A emotional support letter from psychologist helps? Is there a way to register them on my name? Can I make a document saying he cannot request return the gifts he gave me during our relationship? I have a psychological and financial abuse relationship, he controlled me totally, he didn’t want me to buy a car, or have a full time job, he is always treating me to call the police if I take both dogs with me. Please tell me ASAP what options do I have to keep my dogs legally, he wants me to sign a document that we ended our relationship and that he is going to keep the dog, I am Just taking my personal items.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Glynn Busby Jr
Michael Glynn Busby Jr
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Pets in Texas are treated as property. You have to be married to divide property. You maybe able to find a civil attorney that will file a case in a Justice of the Peace court and you can see what happens. I would says that the judge would likely dismiss and state you cannot get relief. A crafty lawyer maybe able to argue some joint ownership.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.