Noblesville, IN asked in Estate Planning, Gov & Administrative Law and Land Use & Zoning for Indiana

Q: If you take care of a pice of ground for 50 years mow it and clean it up does it become yours

1 Lawyer Answer
Ben F Meek III
Ben F Meek III
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Oklahoma City, OK

A: Maybe. In order to obtain land by adverse possession there are several things you have to be able to prove. That you possessed the property, that you exercised control that was exclusive (nobody else controlling it), open (not hidden), notorious (well known or easy to see), and hostile to ownership by anyone else. With that much time passing, you can probably show all of those elements and any others that may be required by the law of your state. But in order to obtain actual legal title to the land, you will most likely have to file a Quiet Title suit to get a court ruling that the property is yours.

Contact an experienced real estate lawyer in your area for specific advice on your situation. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.