Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Land Use & Zoning legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Indiana Land Use & Zoning Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Real Estate Law, Land Use & Zoning and Gov & Administrative Law for Indiana on
Q: IN Law: Is a school that’s been abandoned 10+ years still considered “school property” ?
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Dec 28, 2023

In Indiana, the status of a property as "school property" is typically determined by its legal designation and ownership, rather than its current use. If a school has been officially abandoned and is no longer owned or maintained by an educational institution, it may no longer be... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning, Landlord - Tenant, Personal Injury and Contracts for Indiana on
Q: having persistent issue of sewers backing up into home for over 5 years in a row, i own the unit , an rent the land
Charles Candiano
Charles Candiano
answered on Nov 7, 2021

I assume you do not want a plumber so you really need to ask a legal question, though it seems apparent you need to have check-valves installed to prevent back-up.

1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning for Indiana on
Q: Hello, Attorney: I have a question about ownership of land

My husband purchased a farm property six days before our marriage in August 26, 2004. Since he had a bankruptcy, he had the land deed titled with his son's name so that he could get mortgage loan under his son's name. He paid all all mortgage monthly after we got married. I have all... View More

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Jan 4, 2021

An Indiana attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for five weeks. You could repost and add Divorce as a category. Not all questions are picked up, but you might have better chances of a reply there - Land Use attorneys deal more with zoning, lawful uses/restrictions for... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Animal / Dog Law, Environmental and Land Use & Zoning for Indiana on
Q: I'm a homeowner in Indiana. I have a fence on my property located about 6 inches back from my property line.

I never had my property surveyed, but there is a survey marker across the alley and all the lots on this part of town are all the same size, so that should be enough to clearly define my property line.

My neighbor has built two parallel fences that connect up to my fence crossing my... View More

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Jun 12, 2020

You can sue for Trespass Damages. But you have a Boundary Line Dispute. You will probably need to get a Survey done, where the Surveyor knows he will be testifying in Court. If you do nothing, then you will acquiesce to the new Boundary. Both property owners now have clouds on their Titles.

1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning for Indiana on
Q: I just found out that my neighbor’s garage is on my property. What recourse do I have?

I have lived in my house for over 12 yrs and just decided to fence in my yard. The neighbor has tried to buy part of my side yard several times. I am pretty sure that he knew his garage was on my property. I am not interested in selling any of my land. I wouldn’t have known any of this if I... View More

Charles Candiano
Charles Candiano
answered on May 7, 2020

Discuss your options with a local real estate attorney. On your facts, you could compel your neighbor to move the structure. If the infringement is inches and you intend to live next door to this person, you may want to consider some other arrangement, under the guidance of an attorney.

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Gov & Administrative Law and Land Use & Zoning for Indiana on
Q: If you take care of a pice of ground for 50 years mow it and clean it up does it become yours
Ben F Meek III
Ben F Meek III
answered on Mar 27, 2020

Maybe. In order to obtain land by adverse possession there are several things you have to be able to prove. That you possessed the property, that you exercised control that was exclusive (nobody else controlling it), open (not hidden), notorious (well known or easy to see), and hostile to ownership... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Intellectual Property and Land Use & Zoning for Indiana on
Q: Is it illegal for a pedestrian to cross and residential property?
Marcos Garciaacosta
Marcos Garciaacosta
answered on Dec 28, 2019

technically yes,

why would they do that?

what is the extend of the trespass?

whether you can go after them or not depends on a number of factors.

if you think you have a problem of this nature, consult with an attorney.


1 Answer | Asked in Construction Law, Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for Indiana on
Q: Is there anything that can stop construction of something on neighboring property that will lower my property value?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Nov 17, 2019

Not if the structure will be in compliance with zoning and other laws, and the project is run in compliance with OSHA, environmental, labor, fire & safety, and other codes. Your question remained open for three weeks. Those are some general considerations. You could consult with an Indiana... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Construction Law, Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for Indiana on
Q: are electricity bill is $629.00 and our house is still freezing and the land Lord is a jerk no ceiling in the bathroom

and you can see light through the roof do we have any options my husband is on ssd

Alexander Florian Steciuch
Alexander Florian Steciuch
answered on Jan 14, 2019

It does not sound like your heating works. Either that or your house is uninhabitable. Landlords have a duty to provide you with a safe and habitable living space. Notify your landlord, in writing (keep a copy for yourself), via certified mail of all the issues with the house and inform your... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Entertainment / Sports, Land Use & Zoning and Municipal Law for Indiana on
Q: My boy wants to have a live show for his rock band in my backyard, can he?Terre haute indiana
Paul Stanko
Paul Stanko
answered on Sep 19, 2016

A lot depends on the size of your backyard. You should probably review local ordinances on noise, parking, etc. Your municipality or political subdivision will have ordinances on file. If you have any concerns, contact an attorney, or perhaps even your zoning board.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.