Wilmette, IL asked in Banking, Business Law and Employment Law for Illinois

Q: The company pay date Is today for my time owed me. They say there will be a “delay”. What can I do to get my money?

This company has been using payroll checks that can’t be cashed because of insufficient funds for over 3 months now

1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Shipley
Robert Shipley
  • Business Law Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Based upon your description I would recommend that you contact the Illinois Department of Labor and make a claim for the salary/wages you are apparently owed which have not been paid for three months. Here is a link to the website: https://www2.illinois.gov/idol/Pages/Complaints.aspx

Additionally, I would recommend that you consult with a lawyer to discuss the specifics of the issue you have described to determine other options that would be available for your particular circumstances.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.