Salt Lake City, UT asked in Family Law and Child Support for Texas

Q: My father has custody of my kids....

I work an extra job and pay 1 or 2 extra payments a month. One graduated the other is about to. He sued me and i owed 26000. I have paid well over 13000 and have receipts for payments before he sued me for around 8 grand. Will the state accept those with his signature and child support on them? He says he wants to get more money but I cannot afford it after taxes I would be homeless. What can I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Glynn Busby Jr
Michael Glynn Busby Jr
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: If the child support order is from Texas, there was a case a couple years ago that confirmed you should get credit for indirect payments. Thus, it would be wise to hire a lawyer who works child support collections. You will need a payment plan as it is extremely unlikely you would get any type of forgiveness of the child support obligation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.