Lakewood, OH asked in Car Accidents for Ohio

Q: Can I file a lawsuit against the city of Cleveland for negligence in a car accident leaving my vehicle totalled?

My vehicle was totalled when another driver crossed the median.

I can obtain a police report.

The other driver didn't show any Drivers License and their car was uninsured. the other vehicle did not have any plates/tags.

The other driver claimed to have been a mechanic taking the car home from the lot he worked on.

The police didn't issue any sobriety tests.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: An Ohio attorney could advise best, but you await a response for a week, and you may need to get moving in filing notices of claim with your insurance carrier if you are able to take that route. It does not look like you have a basis for an action against the City of Cleveland, unless it was a government vehicle. If you have a comprehensive policy, that could cover the loss (minus a deductible), or if you do not, look into the scope and limits of your UM (uninsured motorist) protection. You could also see if you could arrange a free initial consult with a local attorney to outline all your options. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.