Murfreesboro, TN asked in Estate Planning, Insurance Bad Faith, Insurance Defense and Probate for Tennessee

Q: Can my grandpa file a claim against my deceased grandma's estate for our insurance policies?

My grandmother owned life insurance policies on my grandpa and myself. We want to cash them out because they are horrible policies. They were supposed to transfer ownership to my grandpa but never did after we filled out the paperwork. Now they are saying we need all of my grandmother's heirs to sign the form but we do not have any way of contacting my dad, as he does not have anything to do with us. As far as we know she didn't have any contingency owner's on the policy. Can my grandpa file a claim against her estate for the funeral costs or for ownership of our policies?

1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You did not state this, but it sounds like your grandmother has passed and there are things still in her name, such as these life insurance policies. You should contact a probate attorney to help you with getting those assets retitled. The type of process that will be needed will depend on more facts than are stated in your question, such as what ELSE did she own that needs to be retitled and whether or not she had a will.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.