New Rochelle, NY asked in Social Security for New York

Q: I've been on SSDI for over 25 years for a mental condition. I receive 2 checks, 1 Disability check and 1 Survivors check

I lived with my Mother for all this time in her house. She died in March. Do I have to report her death to social security? I have to move soon. Do I need to report to social security when I move? Will the amounts of the checks I receive be the same or less when I move? Thanks.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Steve Perrigo
Steve Perrigo
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Brentwood, TN

A: You should report the death to SSA, but it won't affect your checks. SSA typically gets death notifications directly from the funeral homes, but with the field offices being closed due to Coronavirus, I would call the 1-800 number also to report.

Yes, you should always report a change of address, even if you get your benefits by direct deposit. This will help when they mail routine letters (cost of living adjustment notifications) or non-routine letters (forms to re-evaluate your medical condition known as CDRs).

Your benefits are not based on where you live. That typically only applies to Supplemental Security Income (SSI) checks, which is a public assistance program SSA administers. I believe you are receiving Disability Insurance benefits, which are based on your work history and don't change based on your residency.

Susan Michele Schaefer agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.