Kingwood, TX asked in Car Accidents for Texas

Q: What happens when you get sued but don't have the money to pay and you can't afford a lawyer?

My bf was involved in an accident in September. It was his fault, and his insurance paid for the new car. The driver's family is trying to sue him for 100 grand citing that the driver is an wheelchair. At the accident the other driver was fine,he called off the police, and tried to leave the scene. We ended up calling them, and at the end everyone went home.

My bf has witnesses to cite our story.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jessica McKinney
Jessica McKinney
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You boyfriend's insurance company is obligated to defend him as long as he had an active policy at the time of the crash and that he is cooperating with them. They will provide a defense attorney and pay for any settlement or judgement up to the limit of his policy. Anything in excess of that, may be his responsibility to pay. That being said, Texas has a very broad exemption laws to protect an individual's personal assets from a judgment in cases like this. I suggest your boyfriend speak with his insurance company/defense attorney to discuss the specifics of his case.

Tim Akpinar agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.