Kings Mountain, NC asked in Family Law and Juvenile Law for North Carolina

Q: My 17 year old daughter thinks that she can hang out with who she wants and stay where she wants to live. I disagree

She thinks she can stay with her dad who is a immigrant. She thinks she can go to whatever school she wants and does not have to follow my rules.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Adam Bull
Adam Bull
  • Asheville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: She is still a minor under NC law, unless she has filed a petition to emancipate herself, which is difficult to prove and she would have to show she can provide for herself without assistance, has employment, and a place to live, and is not merely a recalcitrant teenager.

At 18 she will be an adult and can legally make her own decisions.

I suggest you contact a licensed family counselor and seek their assistance to heal the relationship

Amanda Bowden Johnson
Amanda Bowden Johnson pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: You are correct. However, If you allow it and / or fail to do anything about it she would essentially be right.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.