El Dorado, KS asked in Employment Law for Kansas

Q: Does my employer owe me back pay? And are they taking advantage of “salary” status incorrectly?

I get paid a base “salary” (my pay checks say salary) of $545 a week. (After tax it amounts to about $450) I work 50 hours a week, no lunch. And don’t get overtime due to the “salary”, however if I miss a day, I am docked over $100 per day missed in that week. Can they do that? Also as of Jan. 1st 2020, the base salary was increased to $684 correct? We do receive bonuses but they are rare (suppose to go off of our sales for the week, but we never surpass the base amount.)

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: I would reach out to an employment law attorney in your state for a consultation. In 2020, the Fair Labor Standards Act changed and required employers to pay employees a salary of at least $684 per week. In some circumstances, employers can deduct from your salary for a full day of work that was missed, but not for a partial day.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.