Asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Puerto Rico

Q: if a parent leaves their child for months at a time and the child was in university (19-20yo) what should happen. in PR*

legal and step parent left puerto rico for just about 4 months and saying that they werent going to come back to live but now live in PR again and now that (now 20yo) lives in their boyfriends mothers house. and gets no support and no financial support from their parent. now has been almost 7 months since that happened. can something be done, in Puerto Rico, still?

1 Lawyer Answer
Nelson Jose Francisco Alvarez-Aponte
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Carolina, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Hello and thank you for using Justia. The daughter is a minor until age 21 thus she has a right to request Child Support from her parents. Since she is a student she may qualifying for económical support until the age of 25 or date of graduatión, which ever occurs first.

The Child Support can be requested in a Court procedure or in A.S.U.M.E..

If you need additional information please feel free to contact me directly.

Jose M. Rivera Santos agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.