Lorain, OH asked in Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Ohio

Q: My daughter is 17 and 9 mo pregnant. She lives with her dad currently but wants to live with me her mother.

Courts are closed so I cant file for emergency custody or custody. She does not want to go back there. What can we do? If she doesnt go home what could happen?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nicholas P. Weiss
Nicholas P. Weiss
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Cleveland Heights, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: The court's aren't closed to everyone, they're just suspending all activities until April 13, 2020. Essential services are still ongoing. You can file with Lorain County Domestic Relations for a modification of the parenting order and it may still be heard, just slowly.

As to what happens if she just leaves, while that will technically be in violation of the parenting order, there probably isn't a whole lot that the court will do about it right now.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.