Claremore, OK asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Oklahoma

Q: Can I leave house and cars by transfer on death deeds to my 14 year old daughter w/o court involved. Do I need trustees

My husband and I own our home, no mortgage and own all autos w/ clear titles. We are self employed low income, but what we have, we own. I also have a son that is 24, but not responsible to handle such matters. What is the cheapest and simplest way to make sure that our daughter gets our property without probate issues and it being tied of in court and all is lost in court cost and legal fees. I don't know what else to say. Any other info needed, please feel free to ask. Thank you.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matt Fleischer
Matt Fleischer
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Oklahoma City, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: Probably the cheapest and easiest way is to create a simple revocable living trust that names you and your husband as trustees and primary beneficiaries and then names a successor trustee that takes over and manages the property for your daughter until she reaches the age you want her to receive the assets. What attorneys charge to set up such trusts varies greatly, but you should be able to find one to do it for around $1,000.

The problem with simply using Transfer on Death deeds is that if you die before your daughter reaches the age of 18, a court will need to appoint a court-supervised custodian/guardian to care for the property until she is of age, which is going to be just as expensive and burdensome as probate, maybe more so.

Feel free to contact me directly if you have any follow up questions.

P.S. Congrats on your financial success. Not many people own their homes and cars debt free, regardless of their income. Sounds like you've been very financially savvy and responsible.

David A. Cincotta agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.