Harlingen, TX asked in Domestic Violence and Sexual Harassment for Michigan

Q: What do I do about sexual assault and mental abuse in a previous relationship?

It was in Michigan. I was 16 and he was 24 when it started. It continued for 2 years. He would make me feel guilty for not wanting to have sex and would threaten to cheat on me if I didn’t do things. When he cheated, held a gun to his head and begged me to shoot him when he told me. I tried to leave him and he slit his wrists and sent me a picture. Every argument was my fault. He called me every name in the book. He spit on my face multiple times, he punched me in the face twice, he gaslit me, he made me practice loading and unloading guns, he would sit by the window with guns and aimed them at cars he deemed suspicious and told me to stay out of view of the window, he would walk down the streets with a bulletproof vest and illegally conceal carrying a pistol because he thought random people on the street would try to kill him, he didn’t want me going anywhere alone or going out with friends or family because he couldn’t “protect” me.

1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Hopefully you have removed yourself from this situation. It sounds like your ex suffers some mental illness. Even if so, it doesn't excuse that treatment.

What your question does not indicate is whether you two were legally married. By the ages, I'm assuming not. There may be civil actions you could take, but those would depend on how much time has passed due to statute of limitations. Generally, the law requires someone to take action in a reasonable amount of time; if too much time passes, then you may be left without relief.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.