Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Michigan Sexual Harassment Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Sexual Harassment for Michigan on
Q: Do I have a case ! When my child’s father girlfriend sent a video of me doing sexual things to people without my consent

What should I do next? I want to make a police report next

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Jun 18, 2019

Your's is a very fact-dependent situation. How did she get this video? Who took it? And where were you when this was being done? If you had no reasonable expectation of privacy when this video was made, or you consented to being taped and the video subsequently fell into her hands, I'm not sure... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Sexual Harassment for Michigan on
Q: I am a witness of a situation, and I was wondering what would happen to the suspect if I plead the fifth.

I know some things about what happened to the victim and if I plead the fifth on some questions, I don't know what would happen.

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Apr 29, 2019

Unless you have been charged--or are being charged--for a crime yourself you cannot invoke the fifth amendment to shield the suspect. Nor can you invoke the fifth amendment "on some questions" but not others.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Discrimination and Sexual Harassment for Michigan on
Q: Terminated due to an accidental erection in front of female co-worker. Wrongfully terminated?

One day at work Ive become very stressed, running up and down a flight of stairs every few minutes, and when I came back to my female coworker to help her finish our tasks for the day, and I suddenly got an erection. It was noticeable but I tried to make it not so obvious and even apologized to her... Read more »

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Mar 7, 2019

Unlikely that you would successfully fight this. How would your employer know about this if your co-worker didn't complain?

1 Answer | Asked in Sexual Harassment for Michigan on
Q: I'm disabled.. I was drugged and sexually assulted in my home which I believe was by my landlord..

He also began to harass me causing emotional distress and possibly insinuates sexual favors as well.. I possibly had a miscarriage I bled for six weeks after missed period of almost four months , he told me after I was assulted he could come into my apartment anytime he wants after I explained to... Read more »

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Mar 5, 2019

You should promptly call your local police to report this incident. Time is of the essence.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Sexual Harassment for Michigan on
Q: This is located in Michigan! Is it legal? Can a case be made out of it?

Hi, I got some information from my girl cousin the other day. She had told me that she is dating a 27 or 28 year old and she is 16 about to turn 17. She consented to it and they are looking to get married in the future. She has not told her parents yet because she is scared of their reaction. She... Read more »

Jasmine D. Rippy
Jasmine D. Rippy answered on Aug 8, 2018

In Michigan, the age of consent to sexual contact is 16. Therefore, it is legal for a 16 year old to date a 28 year old as long as the relationship is consensual. However, if the 16 year old has sent sexual images the 28 year old, they could both face felony child pornography charges. If any of... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Sexual Harassment for Michigan on
Q: i was sexually assaulted at work and now my medical bills are starting to come in that i can not afford.

Do i have the right to sue my attacker and possibly former employer?

Marlo Bruch
Marlo Bruch answered on Feb 20, 2018

I recommend that you contact an employment / workers compensation attorney so you can get the assistance you need.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Juvenile Law, Sexual Harassment and Small Claims for Michigan on
Q: Can a teacher engage in a relationship with a student after they have graduated?

I got into a debate about this. My friend said that within the state of Michigan, that's where I live, a teacher may not engage a student for about a year or two after they have graduated. When I ask about teacher student relations. I'm not just talking about high school teachers. Lets say a... Read more »

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Oct 30, 2017

The answer to your question is subject to much debate. From the teacher's perspective, assuming that the student is then over the age of 18, he or she may find that being involved with a former student has career implications if not legal problems.

It is true that under Michigan law, a...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Juvenile Law and Sexual Harassment for Michigan on
Q: I am 17 and will be 18 in march of 18. my girlfriend's 14, then 15 in Nov. of 18. At any time can we have any form sex?

My Birthday: March of 2000

Her Birthday: November of 2003

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Aug 30, 2017

DO NOT DO IT! You trying to split hairs about ages and birth dates will get you clubbed over the head by the long arm of the law if you two do engage in sex while she is under age 16. You are about to be 18. But you don't need to wait until then to find yourself facing a real adult prison sentence.... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.