Asked in Real Estate Law and Land Use & Zoning for Michigan

Q: how do I dissolve a subdivision plat established in 1965?

I bought 37 acres - in March 2020 -made up of 4 parcels. 2 of them have home sites/ platted subdivision. I do not plan on developing the land. I want to dissolve the plat and have it combined as 1 37 acre parcel

1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi
  • Real Estate Law Lawyer
  • Fowlerville, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: The way you've worded this is a bit confusing to me. There is a FORMAL platted 'subdivision' of 37 acres with 4 lots? That doesn't sound right. It sounds more like it was simply a 'lot split'. If the later is the case, you can simply ask the municipality and taxing authorities to recombine the parcels for the tax bill.

Or did you mean there are four divisions and two of them have platted subs on them? Are there ANY improvements to the property as it stands? (Eg, is there one house somewhere?) That too will complicate things.

I'd suggest you consult with a local real estate lawyer to review your deeds and these 'subdivision plats' to see how to accomplish what you want to do, and why it may or may not matter. Because there is a plat there is nothing REQUIRING you to develop and you may be doing work that has no real benefit. Or it may help to reduce your tax bill. Hard to know for sure without looking at all the paperwork though!

-- This answer is offered for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney/client relationship.

I am licensed to practice in Michigan only. Please seek competent local legal help if you feel you need legal advice

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.