Converse, TX asked in Civil Litigation, Intellectual Property, Real Estate Law and Probate for Texas

Q: Need to transfer ownership of home from mother in law to my husband. We need to start paying arrears in property taxes

My mother in law passed away last summer, and my husband is her only child and living family. We need to figure out how to transfer ownership of her home and vehicle quickly because she hadn't paid property taxes for many years so we need to get on a payment plan of some kind as well as need to try and apply for a grant to fix the roof now that we reside in the home. If we could be told how to do this, what forms to fill out and file our selves or anyone will to assist pro bono it would be fantastic. We are already fighting my cancer and and our daughters severe epilepsy. Thank you so much

1 Lawyer Answer
Terry Lynn Garrett
Terry Lynn Garrett
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You do not need to complete transfer of title to either the home or the car to pay the property taxes, though paying them gives no ownership rights.

The DMV has an Affidavit of Heirship form.

While a court will not enforce it until it has been in the county clerk's deed records for five years, many title companies will accept an Affidavit of Heirship signed by the heir and two witnesses who knew the deceased for at least 10 years.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.