Warwick, RI asked in Probate for Rhode Island

Q: What happens if executor of a will in RI refuses to initiate small estates probate or give it to the secondary executor?

Deceased brother's girlfriend is 1st executor & my mom is 2nd. Girlfriend refuses to give the will to the small estates probate court & refuses to give it to my mom who will file the petition. The estate only consists of a very small bank acct. Girlfriend made sure she got his major asset, a car & doesn't want any responsibility, especially if there is debt to be pd. My mom pd for his funeral svcs. b/c he had too many medical bills. I'd like my mom to get whatever is in the bank acct., but the probate clerk states they need original will, she can't file as voluntary executor w/o a will b/c they saw her photocopy of will so they know one exists. An estate atty said my mom could still file b/c the courts are too backed up to impose the sanctions for not turning in the will. What can I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: Your mom would do well to hire the attorney who gave her the advise, or any attorney of her choosing.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.