Miamisburg, OH asked in Civil Litigation, Contracts and Landlord - Tenant for Ohio

Q: I resigned my lease in December last year, I now have barely any hours due to the virus. What are my options?

I just want to move out but my lease says I will owe remainder of the lease? Do I have a leg to stand on here?

1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: You'll have to try to work it out with landlord. If you leave, landlord can sue you for rent and make an adverse entry on your credit report. Court activity is suspended in Ohio, so if you stop paying rent, landlord can also file an eviction, but it won't be resolved until after court resumes operation, which could be a couple months.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.