Bridgeport, CT asked in Child Support for Rhode Island

Q: My daughter's mother and I are still legally married. Separated for 3 1/2 years (not on paper though) all the bills are

Still under my name but paid by her. We current still file our taxes together and everything looks like we are still together but I found out she is looking into child support even though I give her money every week like we verbally agreed. Can she win this case? She recently (2months ago) filled saying I just moved out... Will she win this case?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: A "win" might be best achieved by filing your divorce complaint to establish custody, support, and a division of your marital assets once and for all. Contact an attorney to formulate a plan, and begin the process. Living more than three years Separate and apart is a non-fault grounds for divorce here in RI.

Neville Bedford

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.