Denton, TX asked in Child Support for Puerto Rico

Q: Please state the law that orders the non custodial parent to seek order to stop support after majority?

I have a child support order from Puerto Rico but I live in Texas. My oldest daughter has reached majority but my son has not. The father has not requested termination and decided to give me half of the support. What Puerto Rican law states that child support does not end automatically at the age of majority

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nelson Jose Francisco Alvarez-Aponte
  • Carolina, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Hello and thank you for using Justia. Child Support order can only be modified by a Court Order. Thus for the elimination of a Child Support order the Court must rule on eliminating the Order. Please Vieques the following link on this matter;

The Civil Code of Puerto Rico (31 LPRA 568 / 569) mention the causes for the elimination of a Child Support Order. However it does not mention age or the process to be followed.

The case Law found in Santiago Texidor vs Maisonet Correa 2012TSPR187( States that the obligation is not automatically eliminated and it has to be requested. Also this case law caused a change in the ASUME rules

(Law Num. 182 of November

5 of 2015.)

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.