Asked in Immigration Law and Tax Law for Texas

Q: Stimulus check for US Citizen KIDS living ABROAD with NON-U.S. PARENTS.

My wife and I are Mexican citizens living in Mexico. I have 4 children who were born in Texas. 21, 15, 10 and 2 years old. 22 years ago I worked in the USA with an H-1B visa when my oldest son was born. When my visa expired, I returned to live in Mexico and I only returned to the USA so that my other 3 children were born in the USA as well. They were born in private hospitals, no govn't help needed and ALL the hospital bills were PAID IN FULL by ME. My children have studied here in Mexico all their lives, none of them work yet since they are full-time students. As parents, we are not American citizens or residents, but neither illegal immigrants since we have lived in Mexico after my visa expired. I am not interested in receiving any stimulus check, but my question is this, do any of my children have the right as a US citizen to receive a stimulus check? I have never declared them as dependents because I do not fill out tax returns for the United States since I work and live in Mexico.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Roy Klein
Robert Roy Klein
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Los Angeles, CA

A: The children under 16, no. The 21 year old, maybe. If he or she has a social security number (SSN), but has never filed any taxes, then he or she must fill out the non-filer form:

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.