Reno, NV asked in Estate Planning for Nevada

Q: My Mom is ill, and is a a beneficiary out of 4 siblings. The trust is now irrevocable.

Can she have the trust changed - only to specify that if she passes before distribution of assets of the trust, for her percent to go to her daughter? At current the trust states any departed beneficiaries percent is to be split amongst the remaining siblings. She is trying to prepare her own trust and is very mentally stable to do so, but does not want her other siblings to have her percentage of her inheritance. One reason is because all of her siblings are very financially stable and she falls under poverty status, and on disability. Her daughter is grown and decently successful but she wants to make sure her daughter has some security if she were to pass before the trust is distributed to the beneficiaries?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kirk Kaplan
Kirk Kaplan
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Licensed in Nevada

A: When you say trying to prepare her own trust, is she working with an estate planning attorney? If she is ill and near death, this is not the time to be DIYing. She has more important things to worry about like spending time with family, seeing friends, and doing what she whats to do to the extent she physically can.

Working with an estate planning attorney will be able to read the trust in which she is a beneficiary and determine if she can appoint her trust share to her daughters. This is a concept few people know about if they are neither an estate planning nor a trust administration attorney.

I wish you well.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.