Buckeye, AZ asked in Landlord - Tenant for Arizona

Q: Am I able to evict my fiance's adult daughter?

She had no place to go after her lease was up back in charlotte NC. My fiance and I let her move in with us in Buckeye Arizona. She was told the rules in the household including: getting a job, coming home at a decent hour if she went out, assist in household chores, and pay for room and board until she was ready to move out on her own, and most importantly not smoke marijuana or bring it into the house. She eventually got a job, but has failed on the other rules of the household. She has smoked marijuana in the house once when I was away at work while my daughters were in the house, and again when I was sleeping. My two under aged daughters 12 and 15 years of age have their bedroom next to hers. She has refused to pay a sum of five hundred monthly for room and board, which I said would start on May 1, 2020. I don't know what to do since she is my fiance's adult daughter.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter H. Westby
Peter H. Westby
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: Are you the owner of this home? Will you have your husband's support? If so, you and your husband can evict your husband's daughter. Governor Ducey has issued an Executive Order placing a temporary stay on residential evictions. If your circumstances are covered by this order, your eviction may be delayed. But otherwise you may proceed as in any other residential eviction. I recommend speaking with a real estate attorney before you get started. This is an unusual eviction and you would benefit from having the advice and help of an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.