Wareham, MA asked in Family Law for Massachusetts

Q: How do I file for parenting time by mail?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brian Waller
Brian Waller
  • Worcester, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: You can download the forms you need from the mass.gov site (search for 209C). There are a few more steps to the process if you are not on the birth certificate which would entail establishing paternity through a DNA test.

Whichever situation you are in, all the forms need to be completed and mailed to the court in the county where the child lives currently. Once you receive the summons back from the court, you would have the other parent served with the summons and other documents by a constable. Once the proof of service is returned to the court (and the courts reopen) you will be scheduled for a hearing.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.