Shelton, CT asked in Social Security for Connecticut

Q: How do i return social security money because of the death of an individual

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Susan Michele Schaefer
Susan Michele Schaefer
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Prattville, AL

A: Report the death of someone who was receiving Social Security benefits the Social Security Administration (SSA) by calling 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778). Let SSA know about the money that needs to be returned. Keep in mind that Social Security benefits are paid a month behind. For example, April’s benefits are paid in May.

If the Social Security payment was deposited directly into a bank account, SSA will make arrangements to withdraw the payment electronically. Keep the bank account open for about 45 days to allow time for SSA to make the withdrawal. If Social Security payments were made by check and mailed rather than direct-deposited, SSA will give you instructions on its return when you contact them.

Also, be aware that there may be survivors' benefits available for which a person could apply as well as a small lump sum benefit.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.