Boaz, AL asked in Child Support for Alabama

Q: My son will be 19 in three months. How do I petition the court to have child Sup stopped & how soon should I do that ?

My child support currently comes out of my pay check. The age of emancipation in Alabama is 19. He will be 19 in July. Is a court petition done through a letter or in person ? And how soon should I petition so that child support stops on time ?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

A: You would petition the Court to end the support. You do that through the Court. I would do it right now. You don't tell us if there is any other child involved who is still a minor. There is no basis for your paying support to a person who is over 19 years of age UNLESS you have a "pre Christopher" order that commands that you pay post minority support -- like college expenses. You should also check and see if the wage withholding order has any language that makes it expire. Get something going with the court right away.

Shane Michael Oncale
Shane Michael Oncale
  • Birmingham, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: Well you have lucked upon one of the few things in Alabama for which there is a form. Follow this link .

I would file it with the court sometime in May.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.