Washington, DC asked in Divorce and Real Estate Law for Virginia

Q: Divorced and ready to sell home have agreement that it is ex wife’s property and ex has no claims to it is that enough?

I grew up in the home in question and per our separation agreement I got sole rights to this property once divorce was final now 2 years later, I have since remodeled and out grew my home so do I need to consult with my ex husband to sell or is my signed document that’s notarized enough to sell without his signature?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Shafeek Seddiq
Shafeek Seddiq
  • Reston, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: First, your question assumes that the home was in both of your names. If so, usually the Property Settlement Agreement (PSA) will say that one spouse to convey title to the other. If that has not happened, then your ex husband may still be on the deed and he may be needed to sign documents. So, I recommend you consult with an attorney and to guide you.

Not a legal advice nor establishment of attorney-client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.