Utica, NE asked in Child Support and Collections for Nebraska

Q: hi, my child support case is out of Minnesota. With my tax returns, Minnesota collected the remaining 1981.00 that was

hi, my child support case is out of Minnesota. With my tax returns, Minnesota collected the remaining 1981.00 that was due. The case has been closed for almost a year. After Minnesota collected the 1981.00 from taxes, they failed to notify the irs that the debt was paid, and to remove my name from the registry thus when stimulus checks were distributed Minnesota collected another 1981.00 above the ending balance on my case, thus making the account an overpayment of that amount. What should I do to get my money back?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: If your case is out of Minnesota, you need to contact the child support office in Minnesota and then an attorney licensed in Minnesota if the child support office can't assist you in having the funds returned to you. You may want to act quickly. In Nebraska, funds are distributed fairly soon after received. It will likely be much easier to get the funds returned if being held by the child support payment center then having to try to get them back from the parent directly after/if the child support office distributes them to the other parent.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.