Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Nebraska Collections Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law, Collections and Small Claims for Nebraska on
Q: How do I recover money paid to a contractor who never finished the job? My elderly uncle prepaid for tree removal.

My uncle is too trustworthy and didn't ask for a receipt. I have several texts from the contractor stating that he'd be over to finish the job and we have my uncle's bank statement showing a large cash withdrawal (which he never does) and of course we still have the tree standing. That's the only... Read more »

James Polack
James Polack answered on Jan 26, 2020

You might consider Small Claims Court.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Collections for Nebraska on
Q: I owe $7000 for damage in an auto accident. Told the collection agency I can pay $100 per month. All I can afford.

As long as I am giving them something, they gave to accept it. Is this correct?

James Polack
James Polack answered on Jan 9, 2020

Under Nebraska law the insurer or their collection agency can sue you for the $7,000. If they get a judgment they can typically garnish 25 percent of your wages if you are not head of household, 15 percent if you are head of household, and they can garnish 100 percent of your bank account unless... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Collections and Consumer Law for Nebraska on
Q: A hospital did a procedure on me which was subsequently denied by my insurance. Now they are suing me to collect

I'm refusing to pay the bill because the hospital did nothing to help me appeal the case to my insurance company. The original amount was $7k which they reduced to $3k. Is the case worth fighting?

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jul 12, 2019

It could depend on the basis of the denial, provisions of your plan, and other factors. One option here could be to have an attorney who handles medical claims disputes review the file. They should be able to determine the viability and cost-effectiveness of defending the matter, since the second... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Nebraska on
Q: How do i collect the judgement from a Case
Ryan P. Sullivan
Ryan P. Sullivan answered on May 13, 2011

If the judgment debtor has not submitted payment voluntarily, the next step will be to start garnishment proceedings. If you are unaware of where the debtor works, you might consider requesting a debtor's hearing to uncover the debtors occupation, assets, etc.

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Nebraska on
Q: I received a summons for credit card debts. I want to pay for them in full what do I need to do?
Ryan P. Sullivan
Ryan P. Sullivan answered on May 13, 2011

I suggest having your attorney contact the creditor's attorney assigned to the case. Your attorney can often negotiate a reduced pay-off amount in an effort to settle the case prior to the first hearing. Please feel free to contact me directly with questions, I may be able to help.

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Nebraska on
Q: Verbal contract agreement with La QuintaInn for lawn service&still have outstanding invoices from Jun,Au,Sep/2010! HELP!

What can our company do to recieve payment do to get our money. its only $960.00 due but the invoices are past due in September of 2010. she keeps hanging up on me hen i call her. times are rough and its only my 2nd year in business, not expanded yet.

Ryan P. Sullivan
Ryan P. Sullivan answered on May 13, 2011

I suggest filing a claim in county court and get a judgment for the amount due. I often work with small businesses in handling small claims such as these. Please feel free to contact me and I can explain the initial steps to take.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.