Asked in Estate Planning for Texas

Q: Who do I contact for trust docs if the trustee and trustor are deceased??

After my mother passed I found out that she created a trust.. Since she passed, the trustee has also passed and the firm no longer operates under the same name and I was wondering how do I go about locating these documents and who do I contact now that the trustee it's deceased also.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Isaac Shutt
Isaac Shutt
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Richardson, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: If you contact a probate attorney in your area, he/she can email the local law firms to see if anyone had your mother's file. If not, then you can operate as if there's no trust document. This would mean that your mother's heirs inherit the trust assets. Assuming she wasn't married at the time of death, the heirs would be her child or children.

Regardless, you'll definitely want to start by having a consultation with a probate lawyer in your area. This meeting could be free or inexpensive.

Ross F. Tew agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.