Winter Park, FL asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Florida

Q: Can my mom still force me to stay with her?

Hello. I am a 15 year old boy living in Orlando. My parents are not together. I live with my mom while my dad lives in Miami. For about a year now, my stepdad's parents have been living with us, turning my and my mom's lives unhappy. For awhile I have thought about living with my dad, but I don't want to leave my mom. Recently my mom and I got in a fight that resulted in my mom telling me she no longer trusts me. It might be best I move, for the both of us. What if my mom forces me to stay? Both of my parents have told me I could live with my dad if I wanted to. But I feel I have angered her too much and she won't want me to leave. Please help. I want to know what my rights are. We have no court order saying I have to live with either parent, nor is there one requiring visitation. My mom does not have full custody. I can choose to live with my dad, as both my mom and dad have previously stated.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jean Richardson
Jean Richardson
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • North Miami, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You should have a conversation with both parents and let them know how you feel and what you believe is in your best interest. At 15, if your parents were going through a divorce, a Court would want to know who you want to live with. If your dad wants you to live with him, and he can accommodate your needs, there is no reason why you should not be able to do so. However, it is always best if both parents are on the same page. There are other issues such as child support that may come up. Is your dad currently providing child support to your mother for you? If you live with him now, is she going to provide child support for you? Visitation, etc.? If it can't be resolved amicably, and your dad wants custody, he should contact a local attorney. Good luck young man!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.