Asked in Criminal Law for Washington

Q: Two of my friends were arrested for theft, one lives in the USA and the other one does not. Can the tourist come back?

Two of my friends were arrested for theft (felony) in the state of WA; one lives in the USA and the other one does not. It has happened in January, they’re free, under investigation. The store is accusing of stealing a higher amount then the one showed in the receipt. Can the tourist ever ever the US again and the resident be deported? Should they get a lawyer?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Patrick Owen Earl
Patrick Owen Earl
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Moses Lake, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: Yes these people need to hire an experienced criminal defense attorney NOW. There is one that is here in the USA still right? Is he working? Does he live here normally? The other one is no in the USA right now? Is he planning on come back? It sounds like yes? This person needs to hire an attorney and have that attorney contact the court and the prosecutor's office in order to find out what is happening and if the State is going to charge him with a crime. This way the attorney can file paperwork with the court and the State in order to avoid a bench warrant at the beginning of the case.

The person that is here in the USA needs to hire an attorney so that the attorney can do that same thing and avoid a warrant if possible.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.