Athens, GA asked in Tax Law and Immigration Law for Georgia

Q: Should I make an amend on tax returns if my husband is just currently waiting on an interview at Mexico consulate?

I have been made aware that I should have filed my tax returns as married separately instead of single and it could affect my husband’s immigration process. He is living in Mexico and has never been to the U.S. How should I go about making an amend and what info do I need to provide on the form for my husband since he does not live with me?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Zaher Fallahi
Zaher Fallahi
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Los Angeles, CA

A: You are advised to ensure you status is accurate. If subsequent to the fling you were made aware of an error, you should amend the return as soon as possible with explanation of an “inadvertent mistake”. I hope this helps. Good luck. Zaher Fallahi, Esq, CPA (CA &D.C.).

Disclaimer: This is for information purposes, not intended for, and may not be construed, as legal or tax advice. For specific advice please consult your legal counsel.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.