Fort Lauderdale, FL asked in Contracts for Florida

Q: Hello, I have been paying my daughter's quinceanera for a year and it was supposed to be in May 29, 2020. They won't

refund my money plus they say I have to continue to make payments or I will be in breach of contract and lose my $$$. They said I can pospone to next month but, a bunch of my family have already canceled. what can I do??

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Heather M. Meglino
Heather M. Meglino
  • Orlando, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Take a look at the contract with them to see if there there is any termination/cancellation provision that speaks to this first. For example, they may take a small cancellation fee instead of the whole amount since you are giving them more than 30 days' notice.

It seems to me that many places have been willing to negotiate and waive the fees given the situation. I would recommend calling them and explaining that although restrictions may be lifted, you have family members who still cannot travel, etc. It also isn't recommended to have large gatherings even if restrictions are lifted.

If that does not work then you may want to hire a lawyer to draft a letter to them demanding the return of your deposit depending on the amount at issue.

Hope this helps!

Marisa Portuondo agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.