Asked in Real Estate Law for Mississippi

Q: House left by their parents. No one has lived in it for years. Can we quick deed or call it abandoned. It is torn apart

The entire house has to be gutted out. There are 14 siblings. How can we take full ownership by quick deed or filing house abandoned. Walls have to be torn down. Bath tub commode sinks and cabinets have to be replaced. We want to fix it and move in but not sure since so.many have rights do what can we do

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery

A: Hire a competent attorney to conduct a title search and determine heirship. Then draft a deed for the other heirs to convey their interests to you as the fee owner. Also you need to check the taxes, as a tax sale might be in the works. If there was a mortgage, then foreclosure might be imminent or have already occurred. Once you have title, and noone else is trying to take it, then start rebuilding the house.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.